Before you begin, you will need to be logged into the website and the RSS Feed module will need to be activated.
- From the Welcome Menu, click on the Configure link next to the RSS Feed link.
- Clicking this link will take you to the page that displays the feeds that you have. You can create multiple feeds for different types of content. For example, you could have a feed for youth ministries, sermons, class assignments, etc. Next you will click on the link at the beginning of the page that says Add New Article RSS Feed. The other two options for adding a blog and a news feed don’t apply to Adventist Church or School Connect.
- Once you have clicked on the link, you will enter the information in for your feed. First you will enter text for your zone. The zone is the name of the feed that will distinguish it from any of the other feeds that you have on your website.
- The description, email, and author boxes aren’t required. You can enter information in these boxes if you would like. This information will be displayed in some browser when a person subscribes to the feed.
- The next box gives you the option of restricting your feed by entering subscriber codes. You can have a list of subscriber code separated by pipes, e.g. |24gsx|24wys|322ko|. If you decide to restrict your feed, people will be required to enter one of these codes before they subscribe to the feed.
- In the next section, you will select what type of articles you would like to feed out to your visitors. You can either check the boxes next to the main navigation options or you can select sub articles from the drop down menu. By checking an article title box, you give authorization for that article page and all of its subpages to be included in the feed.
- Then you can decide whether to include thumbnails with your RSS feed. The thumbnails won’t always show up. If the person has subscribed in an email client or in a browser, the thumbnails will not be displayed. The thumbnails will be displayed if the person subscribing places the feed to display on a website.
- You can also choose to include only articles that have the What’s New box marked under the Details tab. This will allow you to decide which articles are included in the feed. There may be some articles that you would like to exclude. If you would like to exclude them, simply leave the What’s New box unchecked.
- You can also choose to show the entire article or just a sample. If you want to drive traffic to your website, it is best to show only part of the article. If you select to show only part of the article, there will be a link to your website where the person can read the rest of the article.
- The last setting that you can change is how many articles to include in your feed. You can select how many days in the past you would like the feed to search when looking for articles to include.
- Once you are finished you will click the Save button at the bottom of the page.
After you have saved your feed, the system will create a link for it. To have your visitors subscribe to the feed you will need to create a link using this information. You will need to copy this link information then go to the page where you would like the link to appear. You can find instructions for creating links on help.adventistchurchconnect.com.